My husband and I decided to have dinner with just the two of us the other day while boys were fast asleep. I just wanted to relax and enjoy some adult conversation with my husband. So, naturally I took advantage of our brief vacation from parenthood to make a more adult meal that we could both enjoy.
This hearty recipe is so rich and satisfying. Fennel is a joy to roast- the flavours intensify as the surface caramelizes, giving it a rich, almost meat-like texture and flavour. To jazz up my sweet potato puree (and give it a little extra nutrition!), I added red pepper, hemp seeds, Brazil nuts and paprika.
When preparing this dish, it’s important to think about timing- make sure that you’re well organized so that everything comes together at the right time. I recommend roasting the sweet potato at the same time as the fennel- it takes roughly the same time to cook, and the fennel will stay warm under the foil while you finish making the puree.
So, that being said, find someone special to enjoy this wholesome dinner with, light some candles, and enjoy! And remember, eat well to live well!
ROASTED FENNEL WITH SWEET POTATO & RED PEPPER PURÉE, LENTILS.
- 1 large Fennel bulb (cleaned and cut in half)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil for roasting
- 1 medium size sweet potato
- ½ red pepper
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp Himalayan pink salt
- a small handful of Brazil nuts
- 2 tsp hemp seeds
- 1 cup lentils
- 1. Preheat oven to 185C (370F)2. Drizzle the fennel with coconut oil and salt, and cover with foil. Bake at 185C for 40 minutes.3. Meanwhile, cook lentils according to package instructions. Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.4. Bake sweet potato until soft, approximately 40 minutes. In the last 20 minutes of baking, add the red pepper and roast until soft, approximately 20 minutes longer.5 .Combine the softened sweet potato, red pepper, pink salt, smoked paprika, hemp seeds and Brazil nuts in a blender, and puree until smooth.6. To plate, place one half of the fennel bulb onto each plate. Add the sweet potato puree and lentils. Enjoy!