With the warm weather here, I try to spend less time cooking and more time outside with my family. That means I’m always looking for quick, easy recipes that I can put together with minimal effort or cleanup.
This is one of those recipes! It’s filling and healthy, and makes a great option for lunch or dinner. If you’d like a bit more substance, it is also great served on a bed of roquette. In this case, I decided to serve it as a stew, and my whole family loved it! The best part? It’s easy to make in bulk, so you can keep leftovers for lunch the next day.
Chickpeas are so easy and versatile, and really work well with this simple, warm tomato sauce. They’re full of protein and fiber, which is great if you’re trying to stay fit for summer. Once they’ve soaked, they usually can cook in under 30 minutes, so they’re handy if you’re looking for a fast, healthy ingredient to bulk up a recipe. Quinoa is one of my favourite superfoods as well! It is a complete protein, and has a slew of health benefits, as I’ve discussed in previous posts.
I love using fresh, seasonal produce, and tomato season is just picking up for the summer. Look for ripe, organic tomatoes for this recipe. By roasting them, the flavours are enhanced as the tomatoes begin to caramelize.
Save the heavy duty cooking for the colder months, and try this quick, fun recipe! It’ll give you lots of energy to enjoy all of the fun that summer has to offer! Eat well to live well!
- 2 cups Chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 1 cup white Quinoa
- 3 Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Smoked Paprika
- Himalayan pink salt
1. Preheat oven to 185 C (370 F)
2. Roast tomatoes for 20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, chickpeas according to package instructions. At the same time, cook quinoa according to package instructions.
4. Using a food processor or blender, puree the roasted tomatoes. Add smoked paprika and salt.
5. Mix with the chickpeas and quinoa. Garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.