What I love most about cooking with whole ingredients is the versatility! I can make an elaborate meal, with lots of dishes working together as one profoundly complete dinner, or I can make something simple, clean, light, and pure- filling, but not overly flashy or complicated. Sometimes, simplicity wins. I can take a recipe that I had originally developed as a side to compliment a bigger picture, and put all my focus on that recipe as a main course. This potato and lentil casserole is the perfect example of this sort of recipe! It works incredibly well as a side dish, but is delicious and hearty enough to be eaten on its own as a main! Whether you choose to use this recipe as I did and make it a meal, or use it as a side to compliment a hearty vegetable stew or braised tofu, you’ll still benefit from all the nutritionally dense ingredients combined in this delicious potato and lentil dish.
I love lentils! They’re such a filling, wholesome ingredient. They contain high levels of soluble fiber, so they’re great for heart health and weight maintenance. They also have a high amount of protein, so they’re a great ingredient for building muscle. Lentils have been shown to aid in digestion and stabilize blood sugar. They’re environmentally sustainable, affordable and easy to cook, which is why most of the world eats them regularly. Potatoes are probably the most underrated vegetable around. While most people focus on the starch and carbohydrate content, they are actually incredibly good for you! Purple potatoes are especially high in antioxidants. They contain a lot of potassium, which helps to regulate blood pressure. They also contain chlorogenic acid, which helps prevent blood clots. Best of all, they contain complex carbohydrates, which- unlike simple carbohydrates like sugar- provide long-term energy.
This dish comes together in under 40 minutes, and is delicious hot or cold. It’s the perfect lunch or dinner for a busy weekday! Even when you’re busy, you should always remember- eat well to live well!
- 3-4 Purple Potatoes, sliced into thin medallions
- 2 cups Green Lentils
- Coconut oil
- 1 Onion, minced
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Ground Coriander
- Handful Parsley, chopped
- Himalayan pink salt
1. Preheat oven to 180C (375F)
2. Cook lentils according to package instructions. Once cooked, drain and move on to step 2.
3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm a bit of coconut oil and toss in the lentils. Add the onion, garlic, coriander, salt and parsley. Toss gently until soft and fragrant. Add the spinach last, and continue to stir, cooking until wilted.
3. Transfer the lentil mixture to an ovenproof baking dish. Lay the potato medallions over top. Brush the medallions with a bit of coconut oil, and season with salt. Bake 20-25 minutes.