Who doesn’t love a stuffed baked potato? With the warm weather we’ve had recently, I’ve been focusing more on fun family meals that we can eat outside. This recipe is so much fun, and my family loves digging into the fluffy baked sweet potatoes and chewy beans.
Sweet potatoes are one of my favourite super foods! Sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin C, complex B vitamins, dietary fiber, niacin and phosphorus. They’re packed with complex carbohydrates, which provide long lasting energy. They’re sweet, fluffy, moist, and their earthy flavours complement the richness of the sauteed mung beans perfectly.
Mung beans come from the same family as peas and lentils, and have been a popular component of Ayurvedic diets in India for thousands of years. They’re rich in complex B vitamins, niacin, manganese, magnesium, copper, zinc, and protein. Together with the sweet potatoes, this meal is complete in nutritional benefits.
Try this dinner tonight! And as always, remember- eat well to live well!
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 2 cups Mung beans, soaked overnight
- Coconut oil (for frying mung beans)
- Ground Coriander
- Himalayan pink salt
- Pea shoots
- Pumpkin seed oil
1. Preheat oven to 185C (375F)
2. Brush sweet potatoes with melted coconut oil. Make an incision into the top of the potato to allow steam to escape while baking.
3. Lay the potatoes onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake for 50-60 minutes depending on the size of the potato, until soft.
4. Cook soaked mung beans, according to package instructions.
5. Heat a small amount of oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beans, coriander and salt, and fry for roughly 3-4 minutes, making sure to stir regularly.
6. Fill the baked potatoes with mung beans, add pea shoots and parsley. Drizzle with pumpkin seed oil.