I recently went to a Korean restaurant, and was overwhelmed by the beautiful nori rolls they created for me! I realized that this was a simple, beautiful presentation of whole ingredients- a way to incorporate as many great ingredients as I like into one delicious, hand-held meal!
For this roll, I chose to use cucumber, asparagus, and avocado, because it’s what I had on hand. This roll would be great with red pepper, carrot, jalapeno, or herbs- as long as you can layer everything evenly into the center of the sheet, it will turn out great! The spread is really where all the flavour comes from. Hemp seeds are full of beneficial properties, including omega 3 fatty acids and protein. Pumpkin butter, spinach, lemon and courgette help round out the flavours and textures in this nutritionally dense spread. This spread is so yummy, it can also be used as a dip for veggies for an afternoon snack!
When you roll the nori, make sure not to overfill the individual sheets. Rolling is an art, and balancing all the components equally is very important. I like to cut my vegetables thinly, so that I can pack them all into the center without overwhelming the wrap. While I love the combination of asparagus, avocado and cucumber, I encourage you to play with your own veggie choices to make the wrap your own! Because, after all, it’s all about eating well! Eat well to live well!
- Nori Sheets
- 1/2 cup Sushi rice
- 1/2 Avocado, sliced
- 12 Asparagus spears, blanched
- 1/2 Cucumber, cut into thin matchsticks
- Himalayan pink salt
- 3 tbsp Hemp Seeds
- 1 tbsp Pumpkin butter
- Handful of spinach
- Lemon juice
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1/2 Courgette
- 3 tbsp Pumpkin seed oil
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp Water
1. Using a rice maker, cook rice according to rice maker instructions.
2. Next, make the green spread- in a blender, puree all ingredients until smooth.
3. To assemble the nori wraps, layer rice thinly on top of a sheet of nori. Follow that by thinly spreading some hemp spread over all of the rice. Lay one piece of asparagus, one piece of avocado, and a few pieces of julienned cucumber in the center of the rice and hemp spread.
4. Roll the nori sheets carefully, making sure everything stays together evenly.