Family breakfasts are very important to me. Especially on the weekends, I try to make sure we have a nice, big, leisurely breakfast that we can all enjoy together. It’s a time for us to talk, catch up on the events of the week, and just spend some quality time together. While weekday breakfasts tend to be lighter and faster, the weekend is the perfect opportunity to get a little more creative with my cooking.
Last weekend, I decided pancakes were the way to go! These wholesome, vegan pancakes are just the perfect amount of sweetness, and are full of complex carbohydrates, omega 3 fatty acids, and protein- the perfect fuel to energize our bodies for a fun, busy day!
I always try to sneak some extra nutrition into my food, and these pancakes are no exception! I added chia, hemp and flax seeds to the batter, which gave the finished product a little texture, and also enhanced it with protein, anti-inflammatories, antioxidant, and omega 3 fatty acids. Coconut cream was the perfect fat to use in this recipe- it provided the richness necessary for a decadent morning meal, but also added even more calcium, potassium, iron and a range of other beneficial nutrients. Even though these pancakes don’t contain any of the usual suspects- eggs, wheat flour, sugar, butter- they are surprisingly fluffy and rich!
These pancakes come together quickly, and cook fast, so you can spend more time with your loved ones! Make sure the skillet is nice and hot before you pour down your first spoonful of batter, and allow the pancake to cook almost all the way through before flipping! If you’re stressed that your pancakes aren’t coming out in perfect circles, there are molds available on the market to help with your pancake pours. However, organic shapes are fun as well, and pancakes are more about fun than precision! I hope you enjoy this healthy, vegan pancake breakfast! Eat well to live well!
- 1 cup Buckwheat flour
- 2 tbsp Flaxseeds
- 1 tbsp Hemp Seeds
- 1 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 2 tbsp Coconut cream
- 2 cups Coconut milk
- 3 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1 cup Cashew nuts, soaked overnight
- 1 cup frozen Raspberries
- 1/2 cup Coconut or Almond milk
1. First, make the yoghurt- In a blender or food processor, puree all ingredients until smooth. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
2. Preheat a medium-sized, heavy bottomed skillet over medium-high heat. Melt in a bit of coconut oil.
3. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients together until smooth. If the batter is too thick, add a small amount of water or a bit more coconut milk.
4. Once the pan is hot, spoon a small amount of the batter into the skillet, and allow to cook 2-3 minutes. Flip, and allow the other side to cook for 2 minutes. Rest the finished pancake on a plate lined with paper towel, and continue with the rest of the pancakes until finished.
5. To serve, spoon a dollop of yoghurt on top of the pancakes.