I have really been enjoying all the fresh produce available in the markets these days. Summer is full of delicious vegetables in season, and I plan on taking full advantage of it all summer long! Courgettes have had an exceptionally lovely season- they’re big and full of flavour, and the perfect vessel to fill with almost anything!
I chose to stuff these courgettes with black rice for a few reasons. Firstly, black rice is stunning! It has such an interesting appeal, and its ability to stand up to heat and water makes every grain stand on its own merit. Only black rice contains anthocyanins, which boast antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antiviral properties. Black rice is also rich in vitamin E, so it’s great for your eyes, skin, hair and nails.
These stuffed courgettes are the perfect option for a light lunch or dinner on a warm day. They’re best when warm, but can also be eaten cold- make enough to enjoy today, and pack the rest in your lunch tomorrow! Eat well to live well!
- 2 Round Courgettes
- 1/2 cup Black Rice
- 1/2 Carrot, diced
- 1 Onion, diced
- Coconut oil
- Fresh coriander
- Black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180C (375F)
2. Cut the tops off the courgettes, and brush each one liberally with coconut oil. Season with salt and pepper, and roast for 15-20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook the rice and move on to the next steps.
4. In a medium sized skillet over medium high heat, saute the vegetables in a bit of coconut oil, and season with salt and pepper. Add the rice to the vegetables, making sure to evenly mix everything together. Continue to cook for another 3 minutes, until soft and fragrant. Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
5. Carefully fill the courgettes with the cooked rice and vegetable mixture. Season with freshly torn coriander.