Cauliflower is such an amazing ingredient! These days, it’s enjoying its moment in the limelight as a popular superfood, and it’s no wonder. It has several benefits, including a high amount of fiber, potassium, manganese, magnesium, and calcium. It’s incredibly versatile, making it a welcome addition to lots of meals.
This crispy cauliflower recipe is a fun snack, but is also substantial enough to serve as a lunch or dinner option. I have a fondness for foods I can dunk in a yummy dip, and this recipe seemed like the perfect excuse to break out my fresh, protein-packed blackeyed bean dip! Who doesn’t love a good bean dip, right? The problem with most bean dips on the market (as is the case with almost all packaged foods, period!) is that the processing methods and ingredients used incorporate a lot of sodium and fat, rendering out almost all of the nutritional benefits in the process. Even the super healthy varieties out there still lack the nutritional diversity to be truly beneficial. This bean dip is full of flavour- fresh herbs (which on their own have a wide range of nutritionally beneficial properties!), garlic, lemon, as well as hemp, nutritional yeast, pumpkin seed oil and sesame paste (tahini!). All of these ingredients are fresh and whole, and require little more than a blitz through the blender to create this luscious dip. If you’re using dried beans, make sure that you soak them well (preferably overnight), and then simply boil them for half an hour or so to soften them up. All other ingredients can be added straight into the blender.
The florets should be cut small, so that they fry easily. While fried foods are never technically healthy, the use of coconut oil eliminates all trans fats from the equation, and rice flour is free of gluten, and fairly high in protein. If you’re going to snack, it’s definitely best to do so responsibly!
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup Rice flour
- Coconut oil (for frying)
- Himalayan pink salt
- 400 g tined Blackeye Beans
- 10 Chives
- Bunch of Fresh Parsley
- Bunch of Fresh Coriander
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 3 lemons, juiced
- 2 tbsp Hemp Seeds
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tbsp Pumpkin seeds oil
- 1 tsp Tahini
- 1/4 cup Water
- salt & pepper
1. First, make the dip- In a blender or food processor, blend all ingredients until smooth. If necessary, add a bit more water to smooth out the consistency. Taste, and season with salt and pepper.
2. Preheat a large, heavy bottomed skillet over medium high heat. Add ¼ cup coconut oil, making sure it’s melted and warmed.
3. Season the rice flour with salt. Dredge the florets in the rice flour, and transfer to the pan, and shallow fry all sides for 2-3 minutes, until crispy and golden.
4. Transfer the fried pieces of cauliflower to a plate lined with paper towel until all the pieces are done. Serve immediately, alongside the dip.
My family loves this easy, fun recipe! So, grab some friends, take dinner outdoors, and try this no-nonsense, seriously great fried cauliflower and dip recipe! Your tastebuds and waistline will thank you! And, as always, remember- eat well to live well!