It has been so hot lately, and I crave cool, sweet refreshing treats on a warm day like today. And, as much as I love ice cream, it isn’t always practical when preparing treats for a crowd. That’s what I love about these bars- they’re absolutely stunning, and would make a welcome addition to a garden party (or even a bridal or baby shower!), and they have a cool, creamy texture reminiscent of ice cream cake. Best of all, they’re completely vegan and sugar free, and full of healthy ingredients!
For the base, I decided to combine flax, almonds and raw cacao, along with some dates for sweetness and to improve the texture. Raw cacao has all the benefits of chocolate, without any added sugar. Cacao is a powerful antioxidant, and has been proven to aid in heart health as well. Almonds and flax are rich in amino acids, calcium and protein. They also add a richness to this cookie-crumb base, and freeze well.
The “cream” filling is comprised of cashews and coconut cream, making it creamy and decadent, and naturally sweet. It’s funny, I was discussing our perception of sweetness the other day with a friend- when you cut processed sugars out of your diet completely, natural foods taste much sweeter. It’s as if the processed foods that our society relies upon so heavily is actually masking our ability to appreciate the natural sweetness found in whole foods. Once you’ve managed to ween yourself off processed sugars, it’s incredible how sweetly satisfying foods really are, all on their own! But, I digress.
This dessert can be made up to three days in advance, and kept wrapped in the freezer until ready to serve. Allow the finished bars to sit for several minutes at room temperature before cutting into them, so that you can get a perfect cut without any struggle. Find your most beautiful plate, and serve these beauties up in style! Whether you’re planning a large party and want to prepare something beautiful and healthy, or you’re just looking for a mid-week treat, these bars are sure to be instant favourites! Eat well to live well!
Creamy Fig Bars
- 1 cup raw almonds, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup Flaxseeds
- 1 tbsp Raw Cacao
- 5 Dates
- 1/4 cup Water
For Cashew Cream:
- 500 g Cashew nuts, soaked overnight
- 1 cup Desiccated Coconut
- 500 ml Coconut cream
- 3 tbsp Agave Syrup
- 4 fresh Figs, cut into thin medallions
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients until they form a dough.
2. Press the mixture down into a tin to form the base.(use a baking paper underneath)3. Place in the freezer for at least 30 min before pouring the cream in.
- Blend all the ingredients until smooth and creamy.
Putting it all together:
- Pour the mixture on top of the base.
2. Allow to set in the freezer for 10-15 min before placing the fig slices on top.3. Freeze for at least 4-5 hours( or overnight)4. Remove from the freezer about 15-20 minutes before serving.