I love summer salads! With the heat we’ve had lately, I find salad to be just what’s needed. What I like about this grilled aubergine salad is that it can be served hot or cold, depending on your mood, and is substantial enough to eat for dinner, without getting hungry later.
I chose to add black sesame seeds, lentil sprouts, spinach and almonds to this salad, because the flavours and textures balance nicely with the smoky aubergines. These ingredients also pack a lot of nutritional benefits as well- all of these ingredients are relatively high in protein, and spinach is exceptionally high in calcium and iron as well. Black sesame seeds are full of antioxidants, and aid in balancing hormones.
This salad comes together really quickly once the aubergines have roasted. If you plan on eating the salad cold, you can roast the aubergines up to 2 hours in advance and keep them in the fridge for when you’re ready. Just toss everything together at the last minute, and you can have a lovely, warm weather ready and on the table within minutes! I hope you enjoy this light, summertime favourite of mine! Eat well to live well!
- 2-3 Aubergines, sliced
- Olive oil
- Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tbsp Ground Cumin
- 1 tbsp Toasted Sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp Pumpkin seeds oil
- 1 tbsp Black Sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp Seaweed dulse
- Lemon juice
- Lentil Sprouts
- Handful of Spinach
- Toasted Almonds
Preheat oven to 185 C (375F)
2. Brush the sliced aubergines with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and cumin
3. Sear aubergines on a griddle, to get grill marks on both sides. Transfer seared aubergines to a baking sheet lined with parchment, and bake for 15-20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, make the sauce- whisk together the sesame oil, tamari, pumpkin seed oil, black sesame seeds, seaweed dulse and lemon juice. Toss in the lentil sprouts.
5. Pour the sauce over the spinach and aubergines, and garnish with toasted almonds.