Just because I have chosen to have a lifestyle that doesn’t include wheat, sugar, or animal products, doesn’t mean that I don’t still love treats! If you’ve been following my blog regularly, you probably know by now that I have quite the sweet tooth- and so do my kids! I’m always on the hunt for new, fun treat ideas, and these donuts are a definite hit in my house! They’re fun, rich, chocolatey and perfect for packing into lunch bags or making en masse to serve to my boys and their friends on the weekend. They’re also surprisingly easy to make, and come together in under half an hour!
I have really been into lavender lately too! Just as it’s beneficial in aromatherapy, it also has nutritional benefits when consumed. Lavender is very closely related to mint, and is full of phytochemicals and antioxidants. It’s also gaining in popularity these days as a flavour addition, for good reason- it has an earthy, herbal flavour that works on a variety of levels, and particularly compliments sweet flavours nicely. It also looks beautiful, and is the perfect garnish for these deep, dark donuts!
These donuts will last for up to three days if stored properly. Because they’re baked, not fried, you don’t have to worry about any of that day-old oil flavour either, which is a big bonus! I like to make a big batch, and store them in a container for the weekend, just in case my kids have some friends over and want something sweet (or in case I get a craving!). The next time you’re in the mood for chocolate, try these donuts! Eating well shouldn’t mean giving up the things you love most! As always, remember- eat well to live well!
- 1 cup Gluten free white flour
- 5 tbsp Date Sugar
- 3 tbsp Flaxseeds
- 2 tsp Corn flour
- 1 tsp Vanilla powder
- 2 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 10 drops Lavender essence
- 1/2 cup Coconut oil
- 50 ml Almond milk
- 100 g Apple puree (or any fruit puree)
- 150 g Vegan dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup Coconut oil
- 2 tbsp Almond milk
- Lavender flowers
Preheat oven to 375F
2. Mix all ingredients together to form a smooth batter. Pour the batter into lightly greased donut shaped baking molds. Bake 15-20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make the ganache- Melt the dark chocolate and coconut oil together, and whisk in the almond milk until smooth. If the ganache starts to harden again, simply reheat it and whisk until smooth.
4. Once the donuts are cooled, remove from the pan. Carefully pour the ganache over top, and sprinkle each donut with lavender.