I have really been enjoying cherries this season! Stone fruit is synonymous with summer, and cherries really epitomize everything I love about summer. They’re sweet, refreshing, and their bright red hue always makes me smile!
These little cakes are so cute, and are sweet enough to enjoy on their own. If you love toppings, just make a quick cherry puree to drizzle on top. These cakes come together in under an hour, and can be kept wrapped in the fridge for up to three days.
Lately, I’ve been using agave syrup to sweeten my baked goods. It adds quite a bit of moisture to cakes, making it a good substitute for corn syrup in recipes. If you don’t have agave syrup, maple syrup can also work. Apple puree also adds a touch of sweetness, and is an excellent replacement for eggs- it adds moisture and helps bind the cake together. Make sure that when you’re purchasing your applesauce in the store that you look for unsweetened, organic applesauce. If you can’t find organic apple puree without added sugar, you can substitute it with coconut cream.
I chose to use a combination of buckwheat flour and gluten free white flour in this recipe. While I love buckwheat’s nutty flavour and nutritional benefits, it is too heavy a flour to use on its own in a cake recipe. By adding white flour to the mixture, the end product stays light and bouncy.
These cupcakes are a lovely dessert or snack. Give them a try the next time you’re craving a sweet summer treat. Until next time, eat well to live well!
- 1 cup Buckwheat flour
- 1 cup Gluten Free white flour
- 10 tbsp Agave Syrup
- 1/2 cup Melted Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon powder
- Pinch of Pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup Coconut milk
- 1 cup Apple purée or Coconut cream (I used apple purée)
Preheat oven to 180C (350F)
2. Mix all ingredients together until smooth
3. Pour into cupcake molds lined with cupcake papers
4. Bake 15-20 minutes, until springy and golden. To check doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the middle cupcake. If it comes out clean, the cupcakes are done. Otherwise, continue baking and check at every 10 minute interval. Allow to cool fully before serving.