Do you ever have those days where you’re hungrier than usual? Like, really, really ravenously hungry? Whether it’s because you’ve been burning more energy than lately at the gym, at work, taking care of kids, or something else entirely, we all need a little extra food every now and then. I always try to listen to my body- when I’m not very hungry, I don’t eat very much. Likewise, when my tummy is grumbling and I feel like I need a big dinner, I do my best to satisfy my hunger in a healthy way. This recipe will definitely satisfy even the hungriest person!
This stir fried vegetable dish is so hearty, it’s practically a stew! It’s rich, and dense, and full of goodness! The chickpeas add a ton of protein and fiber, making this dish exceptionally filling. Broccoli, bell peppers, and courgettes add flavour, texture, colour and eat bring their own set of nutritional value.
The sauce is dark, and full of umami- you’ll love it so much, you’ll want to put it on everything! Tamari is the perfect alternative to soy sauce if you have any sort of gluten sensitivity, and it’s become a favourite flavour enhancer in my kitchen. It works perfectly with the coriander, ginger, spring onions, and sesame oil. Seaweed dulse is salty like the sea, and has so many nutritional benefits it’s hard to even know where to start! It’s rich in calcium, magnesium, iron and potassium. Ginger is another powerhouse ingredient; used as a medicinal ingredient for hundreds of years, it’s a powerful anti-inflammatory. Remember when I was talking about exhaustion-induced hunger? Well, exhausted muscles will see immediate relief from a single serving of ginger, and continued use will aid in the prevention of osteoarthritis, amongst other ailments.
This is absolutely one of my favourite recipes! Even though I came up with it this summer, this recipe will definitely make appearances throughout the fall and winter too. You can add as many of your favourite seasonal veggies as you like, and can even add buckwheat, quinoa, or another grain if you really want to bulk it up! I hope you love this recipe as much as I do! Until next time, eat well to live well!
- 2 chickpeas (soaked overnight)
- 1/2 head Broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 yellow Courgette, sliced
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, sliced
- handful Parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp coriander
- spring onions, sliced thinly
- Tamari sauce
- Seaweed dulse
- sesame oil
- 1 vegan vegetable stock (cube), dissolved in 1 cup boiling water
Cook chickpeas according to package instructions
2. In a saucepan medium-high heat, mix the tamari, sesame oil, spring onions, coriander, ginger and seaweed dulse.
3. In a large pan or wok, heat the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onions until fragrant, about a minute. Add the vegetables and sauce, and continue to cook, stirring constantly for about 4 minutes.
4. Add the chickpeas and vegetable stock, and continue to cook for another 5 minutes until the sauce is thick and fragrant.